What’s new with our Nursing Strategic Plan?
Commitment to the Community
Co-leads: E. Misa Ewing, Emily Groves. Committee: Joan Sadler, Debbie Sears, Deshirle (Dee) Rowel, Dana Garver, Michael Owens, Diane Frank, Virginia Mooney, Vicky Tallerico, Meg Hutchings, Mary Ellen Tuma, Sabita Persaud
- Planning tour of new Light House Shelter this month.
- Partnering with Junior League of Annapolis to collect back-to-school items for backpack distribution to local elementary schools and children at the Light House Shelter.
- Planning nursing assistance during Ride for Shelter, a Lighthouse Shelter fund raiser, on Sunday, September 26 at 12:00 p.m. at the Severna Park Park-n-Ride.
- Remember: Groups or individuals with community service projects looking for support–please contact “Community Service Initiative” via Outlook.
Staffing and Scheduling
Co-leads: Ann Marie Pessagno, Jill Smitley. Committee: Kristina Anderson, Karen Asplund, Lil Banchero, Sharolyn Bush, Evelyn Farkas, Anne Harnish, Sharon Hilder, Peggy Holston, Jackie Johnson, Nita Jones, Lisa Laking, Cheryl Lamon, Marianne McKiernan, Pat Mlynarski, Cathy Moir, Elise Morris, Deanette Readling, Joan Sadler, Jo Ann Shelley, Deb Swanner, Vicky Timerman
- Moving revised policies to policy review committee in Aug. Plan for implementation of approved policies in September.
- Collaborating with HR and AAMC directors to approve HR policies.
Cultural Diversity and Workforce Advocacy
Co-leads: Sherri Morgan-Johnson, Shirley Faison Everette. Committee: John Bonaccorsy, Sedonna Brown, Anna Cortez, Keverne Gomar, Vilma Hardesty, Walter (Buddy) Holland, Miles Joebchen, Uyen Joebchen, Mary Ann Julian, Sandrine Larre, Jazmin Manlapaz, Sharon Mooney, Saisa Neel, Darlene Robinson, Alexis Rubin, Clover Springer, Marilou Turner
- Celebrating a successful Multicultural Festival, held on June 16, a celebration of our diverse AAMC family that incorporated multicultural education, song, dance, food tasting, and attire. Based on positive staff feedback, another festival will be held later in the year.
- Exploring Healthstream to ascertain how to incorporate diversity training through this system.
- Assessing need for culture-related questions in Alec nursing assessment—thus promoting cultural competence from admission to discharge.
Co-leads: Christine Frost, Monica Mewshaw. Committee: Chona Hamrock, Deb Keane, Juli Pastrana, Denise Schmitt, Anita Smith
- Spring/Summer edition of AAMC Nurse newsletter distributed to staff and community affiliates.
- Continue to use Nursing Blog to communicate with staff weekly.
- Began discussions to incorporate patients’ and families’ input in nursing communications.
Care Delivery Model
Co-leads: Katie Boston, Rita Linnenkamp. Committee: Carol Bell, Susana Bradbury, Michelle Donovan, Kim Dyson, Stephanie Thompson, Cathaleen Ley, Judith Loftice, Pat Mlynarski, Deanne Tearnes
- Promoted CaringBridge, a free Web site that “connects families and friends during a serious health event” as an avenue to share health updates and receive messages. Check it out at www.CaringBridge.org and pass on the information to your patients and families.
- Planning Grand Rounds on September 10 at 10:30 a.m. in the HSI: “Too Much Quiet: Understanding Your Role with Advance Directives.”
- Work in Progress: Hospital Wide Patient and Family Advisor Council by FY12.
Nursing informatics council (NIC)
Leads: Kathie Lester, Beth Cunane, Nancy Faust. Committee: Joyce Becker, Theresa Bosworth, Fannie Choy, Barbara Garn, Kira Gleeson, Susan Kozel, Brittany Metzger, Sumati Rao, Rachel Turner, Cynthia Vaughn, Angela Zazzera
- Planning a restructuring through new membership from each unit. Unit rep would be go-to person regarding Alec issues and any problems or questions.
- NIC tracer questions to be sent out to staff.
Co-leads: Janice Drum, Sally Grimm-. Committee: Lisa Davis, Cindy Holsapple-Boone, Irma Holland, Michelle Lewis, Evelyn Rochlin, Mel Wagner, Denise Matteson, Jamie Dotson, Ruby Vlcej
- To schedule a presentation slot with the Board of Review, submit your Clinical Ladder Application to the Department of Clinical Education and Professional Development. A rep will contact you to schedule a meeting time.
- Board of Review presentations are held in the HSI—scheduled every half hour from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. on the following days: August 11, 26, September 7, 27, October 28, and November 10, 30
Stay tuned to hear more about our newest nursing initiative, Nursing Research, led by Cathaleen Ley and Jen Herzig!