‘Tis the Season to be Sharps Safe!
Although December is the season to be jolly, ‘tis also the season to be sharps safe! Happy International Sharps Injury Prevention Awareness Month!
- Approximately 400,000 needle stick injuries happen each year, with half going unreported
- Of the 400,000, nurses account for approximately 40% of these injuries
- As nurses, we need to be proactive and create a culture of safety within the hospital- not just for our patients, but for ourselves and our fellow colleagues!
So what can we do?
- Never recap needles!
- Engage safety mechanism immediately with your dominant hand
- Dispose sharp device immediately
- Report all observed sharps injuries & hazards
- Be prepared, be mindful, and Bee Safe!