Stephanie Thompson, RN, honored with DAISY Award
This week, Stephanie Thompson, RN, who works in AAMC’s ACP OR, was presented with a DAISY Award. The DAISY award is a national program established to recognize extraordinary nurses, honoring the compassion, knowledge and care that bedside nurses provide their patients every day.
Over 30 of Stephanie’s coworkers crammed into the 2nd floor conference room to show their support, including Dr. Avollone, who has worked with Stephanie both in the ACP OR and abroad (they work as part of a team that provides medical care for children in impoverished nations). Sherry B. Perkins, AAMC’s Chief Nursing Officer, had the honor of presenting her with the award.
Staff had planned a big surprise for Stephanie: her husband was brought in to attend the ceremony, as well as her mother, father, and sister, who had flown in from Ohio that morning!
Gerianne Fraddosio, RN nominated Stephanie for this award. Included in the nomination were some truly touching comments from her OR colleagues:
- (Stephanie is) warm and reassuring with her patients which often include young children and nervous parents
- Kind and compassionate
- Quietly goes above and beyond her job on a daily basis
- Has traveled to Guatemala to participate in life changing surgeries with her colleagues
- Stephanie’s work reminds us all that we need to be involved
- I want Steph to be my OR nurse. Why? Because I would be fully confident that when I went to sleep she would be my advocate.
- Doesn’t compromise in delivering excellent care to patients, a true asset to our OR.
Way to go, Stephanie! You make AAMC proud.
-Lil Banchero, RN