Do you know the story behind the AAMC lamp post?
We all recognize the AAMC lamp posst, but where did this icon originate? Why is it meaningful to our hospital and our community? Find out here.
In 1900, Annapolis was growing quickly. The construction of new government and Naval Academy buildings brought in stone masons and construction workers, and, with them, their families.
This building boom also resulted in more injuries and accidents. The usual places of treatment: a Baltimore hospital, the Naval Academy hospital, or at home – where surgeries were often performed on the kitchen table.
In 1902, a core group of strong willed women realized the need to establish a local hospital. The property on the corner of Franklin and Cathedral Streets, with two dwellings, was purchased for $3,500 from a former mayor and florist. The larger of the two buildings was then turned into the hospital — the Annapolis Emergency Hospital was born.
A light at the top of a lamppost on the corner of Franklin and Cathedral Streets served as a familiar and welcoming beacon for the hospital, inviting in all those in need.
In 1924, Col. John A. Lockwood placed two electric lamps at the Franklin Street entrance of the hospital in memory of his niece, Miss Mary Louise Booth. These bright and beautiful lamps provided the inspiration for the hospital’s graphic logo of today – even extending to the architecture of the buildings on campus.
AAMC, now over 100 years old, serves as a beacon of light for the sick and the injured. Even more, it serves as a focal point for health. -Flip Super, RN