AAMC’s New & Improved Nurse Mentorship Program
At AAMC’s quarterly Mentor Lunch & Learn, we were honored to have Janice Hoffman, PhD, RN, CCRN, Assistant Professor and Vice Chair of Organizational Systems and Adult Health at the University of Maryland School of Nursing, present Mentoring Milestones: Matching Goals with Mentor Expertise. Her presentation provided a great overview of mentoring, insightful ideas, and strategies to promote relationship building.
Have you heard about the Mentorship program, but aren’t sure what it’s all about? Read our Mentorship Q&A below. For questions, contact Sandy Fox, MS, RN at firstname.lastname@example.org
I am interested in becoming a mentor. I’d like to grow professionally and help make a difference in someone’s professional journey. Now what?
Make sure you have the prerequisites for Mentorship (see below), then join us from 8-10 a.m. on Tuesday, June 29 on the 7th floor of the HSI for a Mentorship Workshop.
I am already a preceptor. Isn’t that the same as a mentor?
Although preceptors may mentor new staff, mentors are different. Mentors provide nursing graduates an opportunity to build relationships with experienced staff. This eases the transition from the classroom to the professional world.
Mentors are also trained to help guide new nurses in professional development and provide career path direction. The mentors at AAMC help “grow the next generation of nurses.” As a Mentor, you can help a new graduate nurse move smoothly into their professional career with precision and confidence.
What are the prerequisites for becoming a Nurse Mentor?
- RN with two years experience
- Interest or experience in precepting, coaching, or leading
- Good communication skills
- Comfortable with own career path
- MOST IMPORTANTLY – have a passion for nursing!
Okay, I am convinced! What do I need to do to become a Mentor at AAMC:
- Complete an application (located on the AAMC intranet under the Clinical Education tab).
- Obtain two letters of recommendation–one from a peer and one from your manager
- Complete five assigned CE Direct Mentorship courses
- Attend a two hour mentorship workshop
-Margaret Wyatt BSN, RN, FNE-A and Sandy Fox, MS, RN