Daylight Savings Time Ends 11/4/18
It’s that time of the year again! Daylight Savings Time ends this Sunday 11/4/18 at 2am, don’t forget to set your clocks back 1 hour. It is also a good opportunity to make sure your home is safe as we enter the winter months. Here are 5 safety tips you can do:
1. Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors: Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years, carbon monoxide detectors every 5 years. There is a higher risk of carbon monoxide poisoning now that your fireplace or space heater is on. It is also a good idea to check or purchase a fire extinguisher! Have a fire escape plan in place and practice it with those you live with.
2. Change all batteries in your home: It is recommended to check and replace batteries in your flashlights, smoke detectors, clocks, and outdoor lights. Have extra batteries on hand, just in case.
3. Throw away expired medications: Disposing of expired medications properly is key to avoiding accidental medication errors.
4. Prepare a Winter emergency kit: Let’s face it, WINTER IS COMING (get it, Game of Thrones), which means snow is on its way. Prepare your home and car with the essentials needed during a power outage.
5. Check the outside of your home for hazards: Check to make sure your hose bibs have been winterized to prevent frozen pipes. Ensure hazardous materials are out of reach from children and/or pets. Discard any old hazardous materials properly.