Remembering our colleague, friend and mentor, Buddy Holland

Remembering our colleague, friend and mentor, Buddy Holland

Former AAMC employee Walter “Buddy” Holland passed away on Tuesday, January 23, 2018, after a brief illness. His career at AAMC spanned 41 years.

In 1975, as a high school student, Buddy began his AAMC career in the Food and Nutrition department. He later transferred to Engineering where he worked as an electrician. Buddy was highly skilled and had an extensive knowledge of electrical code. He was known for being able to troubleshoot any problem and eventually earned a license as a Master Electrician.

Buddy had a gift for financial planning and loved to help his coworkers in this field – especially in the area of retirement planning. As he mentored them, he always encouraged them to grow in their role, use the resources the hospital provided, and plan for the future.

From executive staff to his buddies in Food and Nutrition, Buddy had friends all over the organization. He always had a kind word, a joke or a smile for anyone he met. When Buddy retired from AAMC on May 13, 2016, it was a bittersweet day for his coworkers.

Buddy was a Dallas Cowboys superfan. He loved boating, golf and his little red Corvette. He will be deeply missed, but his warm and carefree spirit will always be remembered.

Our condolences go out to Buddy’s family and loved ones, and we especially remember his wife, Irma Holland, Director of Clinical Education and Professional Development, and his sister, Kathy Sharps, cashier for Food and Nutrition.

7 comments

1. Posted by Katherine Gross, at Reply

No one person can experience all that life has to offer. It is only through sharing experiences, feelings, in-sights that we hope to grow beyond our own
    meager life time……
    Peace&Love, Katherine

2. Posted by Mary McLean, at Reply

Irma, My thought and prayer are with you. I know how hard it is to lose your best friend. He was a great man. I always loved working with him. He touched many lives at AAMC. I know he is a good place. Kathy, you had a wonderful brother. He will be missed. Remember all those fun times with him.
    Praying for your strength,
    Mary

3. Posted by Colleen Crowe-elville, at Reply

Friendly Buddy. Always knew everybody by name. A master electrician. We will miss you much Buddy. You will always be a part of the Anne Arundel Medical Center family.

4. Posted by Darlene R. B. Robinson, at Reply

I will always remember how Buddy would have Dee Dee and I literally in tears laughing whenever he would come into the Human Resources Department. It didn’t matter what we were discussing, Buddy always had us laughing the entire time we were in his presence. We will truly miss him and those infectious smile that he shared with us all. Rest easy my friend — until we meet again.

5. Posted by Mary Beth Tubiolo, at Reply

Irma– My thoughts are with you and your family. I was so saddened to hear of Buddy’s passing. Although I did not know him well, he was always so kind and friendly and each time I saw him, he had a smile on his face. He will be missed by many.

6. Posted by Kathy Cacioppo, at Reply

Irma, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Sincerely,
    Kathy Cacioppo

7. Posted by Mary Gillis, at Reply

Deeply saddened by the loss of this wonderful man. I’ve had the opportunity to see Buddy a few times since his retirement and always enjoyed every single encounter. Such a warm and caring soul. My heart goes out to Irma, Kathy and all his other loved ones.