Nursing Councils Report for December
Nursing Research Evidence-Based Practice Council
Chair: Cathaleen Ley, PhD, RN
Co-Chair: Cheryl Briggs, BSN, RN
- The December 2015 Journal Club was led by Robin Colchagoff, MSN, RN, who presented, “How do night shift nurses learn to adapt to circadian disruption.” The Journal Club meets on the third Monday of every month from 12-1 PM in the second floor South Tower Conference Room. Please bring your lunch and join us to explore how to incorporate research evidence into practice.
- Cathaleen Ley presented the new quality improvement Bedside Scientist Grant at the December Professional Power Hour and to the Nursing Research Council.
- The FY2017 call for proposals will open in January 2016. This year, separate applications will be available for nursing research and quality improvement studies. Please feel free to contact Cathaleen Ley at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your research or project ideas in advance. The timeline for the FY2016 Bedside Scientist Grant is a follows:
Nursing Quality Council
Chair: Cathaleen Ley, PhD, RN
Co-Chair: Lauren Stylc, RN
- Bedside Shift Report
- Fresh launch planned with an emphasis on Bedside Shift from a patient perspective. All staff will be trained.
- New competency tool developed and will be implemented with required training.
- Bedside Shift Report was the topic of Nursing Grand Rounds on January 8. The speaker was Patricia Gabriel, RN, CEN, CPEN, Clinical Educator: Emergency, Trauma, Pediatrics, Clinical Decision Unit, Suburban Hospital – Johns Hopkins Medicine.
- Sure Step CAUTI kits will soon be available, mandatory training on the new kits will be required.
- In October 2015, there were no CAUTIs house-wide, which marks a significant improvement.
- Hospital Acquired Pressure Ulcers (HAPU)
- The HAPU Collaborative, consisting of staff nurses, nurse educators, and wound center and infection control staff, is meeting monthly to review all HAPU cases monthly and to identify preventable actions. The committee is led by Michelle Perkins, Lead Wound Ostomy Nurse.
- Infection Report
- New isolation signage is up on all units.
- New Isolation Policy is fully implemented.
- Infection Control staff will be rounding on all units one hour per week to address any concerns or questions.
- Patient Satisfaction
- Patient satisfaction has turned downward house-wide. Efforts to improve scores will be implemented, including leadership rounding, onboarding new staff with an emphasis on patient satisfaction, and reinforcing bedside shift report.
Professional Nurse Council
Chair: Carrie Jackson, MSN, RN
Co-Chair: Daniel Shields, RN
Initiatives: SNAC, Diversity/Advocacy, Community, COPE
- DNR bands: PNC is looking at DNR wristbands to be used at the bedside.
- Nursing Satisfaction Survey: Unit PNC reps are going to start preparing to help unit managers and directors achieve 100% participation with the upcoming survey in April. Additional education sessions on the survey will be discussed during the next two meetings.
- Daisy Award/Nurse Excellence Awards: Plan to have another Daisy award celebration before summer. Nursing Excellence Award nominations are being reviewed.
- Peer Review: Cathleen Ley and Deb Baden discussed the Nursing Peer Review process that will be starting in the upcoming months. Clinical peer review is practice-focused and fosters a continuous learning culture of patient safety and best practice. The process is safe and fair, objective, confidential, educational, and timely in providing feedback.
Clinical Education Council
Chair: Melody Kennedy, BSN, RN
Co-Chair: Gena Kosmides, BSN, RN
Initiatives: Professional Development
- NEW MEDICATION TRANSFER PROCESS
- For nurses and escorts, review tip sheets with your unit educators
- PATIENT PERSONAL MEDICATION STORAGE changes
- Patient’s OWN medication should be sent home with family contact
- Many medications are thrown away every month because they are not retrieved before discharge
- JOINT COMMISSION READINESS
- New inpatient, Clatanoff, and Surgical Services/Procedural areas purple papers for navigating the EPIC system. Have you ever tried to figure out the details of your patient’s surgery or procedure? Have you tried to view details of your patient’s emergency room visit (labs drawn, etc.) Tip sheets will be available through your unit directors and educators.
- BEDSIDE SHIFT REPORT
- Coaching classes and training for all nurses coming soon
- SKILLS DAYS 2016
- Station sign up sheet > ask your educator for the sheet
- DATES: April 28, 29, & 30; May 16, 17, 23, & 24
Interdisciplinary Informatics Council
Chair: Bill Moore, BSN, RN
Co-Chair: Jennifer Dupre, MSN, RN
- There was no meeting in December due to the Christmas holiday.
Clinical Practice Council
Co-Chair: Denise Matteson, BSN, RN, CAPA
CPC approved the following policies to move on to the Hospital Policy Review Committee (HPRC):
- SNP 15.3.15 Developmental Care (infant) revised to reflect current practice.
- SNP 15.3.28 Phototherapy (infant) –revised policy to account for new products used in the NICU and clarify practice,
- SNP 15.3.49 Positioning and safe sleep practices (infant) revised to match positioning for illness or well infant.
- SNP 15.3.41 High frequency oscillator ventilation (infant)revised to match current practice.
CPC approved to RETIRE the following policy:
- SNP 15.3.29 Bilirubin Meter-Irradiance measuring (infant) is combine with SNP15.3.29 – Bilirubin Meter: Irradiance Measuring (Infant).
Charge Nurse Council
Chair: Lisa Davis, RN
Co-Chair: Devra Cockerille, RN
- No report for December.
Nursing Operations Council
Chair: Irma Holland, MSN, RN
- No report for December.